Hey friends, it’s time for my quarterly (perhaps?) blog post, and here we go with all of my updates on all the things that have happened since my last post:
- I learned to knit, after I saw Vera’s post on her blog linking to a great knitting tutorial. I have knitted a handful of scarves, hats, and one cardigan. I’ve started a sock, but it was too advanced for me! So I will do a few more projects before I move on to the sock. I hope to make a sweater next, along with some Christmas presents. Right now I’m finishing off a chunky snood which I hope to complete within the next hour or so, so I can wear it in the increasingly cold outdoors of Wales! I’m excited to make some more colourful and complex projects in the future when I have a bit more experience and confidence.
- While knitting and drawing, I’ve been listening to a lot of HP Lovecraft audiobooks on youtube, along with other writers of a similar style and/or time period. They’re really inspiring and I’m trying to write bits and pieces for our game dev projects (such as the Wander universe) inspired by the stories. I am also interested in re opening my etsy store at some point and would love to make it semi-themed upon Lovecraft styled things.
- My colleagues and I worked really hard this past month on a VR demo which I hope I can share with you all at some point! I worked mainly on environment assets and putting the scenes together in Unity. I also tweaked character textures.
- This week I finally got a chance to try out Zbrush! I had already watched a little guide tutorial on it but had not yet entered the program. Once I eventually got round to it, the UI was initially confusing, with controls being very different to anything I’d experienced before, but it was fun and I hope to spend some more time on it, and bit by bit I hope I can build my skills. I set up my own Zbrush challenge to work on, once inktober is out of the way.
- I’m working on a couple smaller game dev projects with Dirty Casuals so I will aim to create a blog post about them once we have some more bits to show – I need to create some more art assets for those. One of the projects needs to be completely open source, so I will be sharpening up my Blender3D skills again to get the models done for that one!
- Artwise – I feel like I definitely made some big improvements in my work during the first half of 2016. In the past 2 months or so, perhaps due to having to crunch at work and being tired after all that, I feel like I have plateaued for a while. I was feeling demotivated and anxious about drawing. I forced myself to get into inktober more and try out different things while working on inktober pieces, and then somehow I found myself enjoying it again. I feel like through my inktober pieces, while I notice a lot of mistakes, I have improved again. I can identify where I went wrong in these short, casual drawings, and then I feel like if I want to make these into more polished pieces, I know what actions I would need to take in order to improve them. It feels great to not feel bad about my art again and I will push myself to keep drawing and experimenting. I will also try to continue with Draw A Box lessons, I recently completed the 250 Cylinder challenge so I need to press on with my next exercise, drawing a variety of shapes in perspective, intersecting one another. It’s a little daunting but I’ll try and break it down into smaller and more simple tasks until I’ve become accustomed to it.
Well, those are my super quick updates, I’ll get back to you all soon as I continue trying to do lots of art!