Also known as: starting on an extremely overly ambitious painting.
I watched Midsommar – perhaps a couple of months ago. Straight away, I really wanted to paint the main character in her flower costume. I started without much planning, without a solid workflow since I hadn’t done a longer painting in a while.
Anyway, a couple months on, I’m still working on it! I have finished the face, the flowers at the bottom, the background… I just have the top section of the flower crown left. That’s… I don’t know… hopefully less than 50 flowers?
Here’s some things I’ve learned:
- Realise that a full colour, fully rendered illustration is a big undertaking and would be helped by planning, thumbnails, etc.
- Having a workflow – like a planned way of how I’m going to sketch, paint, etc. the painting’s components – this is pretty important
- I thought I knew how to draw flowers… I didn’t… reference is king
- I had to make some compromises on the realism of the floral section because my skill level wasn’t really at the place it needed to be. I could have taken time away and done some hard studying, etc. then returned to the painting but… at this point I just want to get it done and take lessons from this into the next painting
- I do not have to make these fully painted pictures in order to have ‘legitimate’ work. That being said, it is super satisfying to see how far I can push myself (even if I have to let go of parts of it looking perfect).
I want to get this finished! I am hoping that I can get some prints done of it once finished and then I can sell them in my shop – which by the way, I re-opened last week (we finally have a home printer so I don’t need to go to the post office to send stuff out into the world). Perhaps I’ll have a proper post on that later – maybe once this girl is complete!
Procrastination is mostly done now. I better go do some painting today 🙂