I hope everyone had a decent summer despite the weirdness that is 2020. Hope you, your family, friends, etc. are all healthy and if you happen to be reading from California I hope you’re staying safe.
SO… after a couple months working on and off, I did finish my Midsommar fan art piece. I’ve put it below 🙂
See it bigger on artstation.
There are parts of this image I’m really happy with – some of the shadowing on the face, the irises (not accurate but fun and colourful), some of the individual flowers, the vines in the background… and some bits of course where I know I could’ve done much better! I think it comes down to planning better – I started this on a whim, and could’ve done with more preliminary sketches and studies! But it’s a valuable lesson that I continue to learn.
Anyway, if you happen to like it enough to buy a print of it, I have printed some A5 ones out and popped them into my etsy shop (which by the way, had a massive overhaul!)… I have both ‘proper’ prints and my ‘seconds’ (ones that I didn’t feel great about selling full price) available. And I’m kinda happy I can provide things at different price points for people.
I have a lot more new updates to share with you all, including a bunch of commission work which I’m happy about – but I’ll keep it short for now. Thanks so much for looking!
Also known as: starting on an extremely overly ambitious painting.
Work in progress painting
I watched Midsommar – perhaps a couple of months ago. Straight away, I really wanted to paint the main character in her flower costume. I started without much planning, without a solid workflow since I hadn’t done a longer painting in a while.
Anyway, a couple months on, I’m still working on it! I have finished the face, the flowers at the bottom, the background… I just have the top section of the flower crown left. That’s… I don’t know… hopefully less than 50 flowers?
Here’s some things I’ve learned:
- Realise that a full colour, fully rendered illustration is a big undertaking and would be helped by planning, thumbnails, etc.
- Having a workflow – like a planned way of how I’m going to sketch, paint, etc. the painting’s components – this is pretty important
- I thought I knew how to draw flowers… I didn’t… reference is king
- I had to make some compromises on the realism of the floral section because my skill level wasn’t really at the place it needed to be. I could have taken time away and done some hard studying, etc. then returned to the painting but… at this point I just want to get it done and take lessons from this into the next painting
- I do not have to make these fully painted pictures in order to have ‘legitimate’ work. That being said, it is super satisfying to see how far I can push myself (even if I have to let go of parts of it looking perfect).
I want to get this finished! I am hoping that I can get some prints done of it once finished and then I can sell them in my shop – which by the way, I re-opened last week (we finally have a home printer so I don’t need to go to the post office to send stuff out into the world). Perhaps I’ll have a proper post on that later – maybe once this girl is complete!
Procrastination is mostly done now. I better go do some painting today 🙂