I don’t have many updates to give, except that I have been drawing a lot in my sketchbook (above) which has been going well, but I do not have many new polished pieces. I’m working on a commission to draw a family portrait with cats, and it’s taking a lot of my time… once that’s done I’ll post a picture of it and then get on with the other projects. Plus, I realised that I need to get a portfolio together ASAP. I do have a rough portfolio, but a lot of it is old work and I don’t feel like it is good or finished enough.
an example of the to do lists all over my sketchbooks
Although my days are not always filled, and I wish I could see my friends more, I have a lot of different priorities at the moment that I’m trying to work through. Along with that I have the usual worries of will I have enough money. I thought, maybe I’ll post a list here of all the stuff I have to do so that I can work through it. For people who have followed my blog for a while, to-do lists are a frequent feature… I usually make at least one a day, and don’t always complete them. I think they help me with my productivity.
Priorities at the moment
- Game design projects – website, polish up first game (which means maybe making more animations for monsters, comics to intersperse the levels, etc.) and consider new game projects.
- Family portrait commission – I’m currently inking it all and shading. Next stop is colouring.
- Thought Bubble convention – need to sort out transport and actually create art for it!
- Illustration for a friend’s tabletop RPG project – I need to get started on this once I finish the family portrait commission … it’s probably going to be a digital painting but I’m not sure yet. Maybe a combination of traditional and digital.
- Collaboration with a friend who writes poetry – this is probably a longer term project as it will take a lot of work and sending things between one another.
- Applying for jobs – preferably weekday, part time if possible… I’m looking for a ‘normal’ job to supplement my art…
- Studying Japanese – I want to get to a level where I can work in a job like translation, but that will probably take a long time to get to that level.
- Driving – I have to learn to drive as soon as I can…
And eventually, I hope I can work on some more personal work, but it looks like that will be relegated to sketchbook work for now. I’d also like to create a comic, but that’s on the waiting list too. It’ll be great to finally be able to cross off numbers 2-4 soon!
personal work will be on the back burner for the moment … is that what people say?
Oh, I watched a documentary the other day which had been recommended to me by friends. It’s called Beautiful Losers and it’s worth a watch. I suppose you could say it’s about subculture and a particular group of artists who would be described as ‘low brow’ … Watching it made me feel more inspired and motivated to create, perhaps it will be insightful for others too.
Anyway, hope you all don’t mind, I’m never sure what to put as the content for a personal blog… I suppose the purpose of this blog is to motivate myself, share with friends, share what I’ve learned and meet people with cool art and a similar mindset. Thanks for reading, anyway. I’m working 5-9pm at the takeaway tonight. I feel pretty overwhelmed with life stuff at the moment so I hope that if a customer is rude to me I won’t get super upset…